According to the World Health Organization, 280 million people suffer from depression globally. This mental health issue runs deeper than mood swings or feeling down. It can become a serious health condition that impedes one’s life. At its worst, depression can lead to suicide. It’s been estimated more than 700,000 people die of depression-related suicide.
But there is good news. Depression can be treated either with medication, counseling, or both. It can also be alleviated or averted with support, love, and a healthier mindset. These quotes are designed to help people understand depression in others. Whether someone you know at work or home is struggling these sayings can be the first step in turning things around.
Quotes about Depression
Let’s begin with some simple and insightful quotes about depression that encourage people to seek help.
- Depression can kill. Talk to someone who can help you.
- Fortunately, there are professionals who can help you deal with depression.
- It’s hard to explain depression to someone who hasn’t experienced it.
- Having an outlet is vital in dealing with depression.
- Remember, you are never alone. There’s always someone who will listen to you.
- Be courageous. It’s a powerful weapon against depression.
- Don’t keep your depression to yourself. Talk to someone you trust.
- Keep your hope alive. Professionals and trusted people are here to help you.
- You’re not alone. You are never alone.
- Always remember that mental health is as important as physical health.
- Nurture feelings of love, inspiration, and joy. These keep depression out of your head.
- Depression is a commonly diagnosed mental illness. That means it can be treated.
- Exercise when you’re feeling depressed. Remember, your emotions are neuro-chemically induced.
- “The hardest thing about depression is that it is addictive. It begins to feel uncomfortable not to be depressed. You feel guilty for feeling happy.” ―Pete Wentz
- “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown
- “Depression, suffering and anger are all part of being human.” – Janet Fitch
Depression Quotes for Him
Society expects men to be internally and externally strong. As a result, a lot of men lock in their feelings.
- Your boyfriend/husband needs you. Be there for him as he was for you.
- Men can be vulnerable too. Be there for him.
- Tough men can feel sad too. They can cry, feel vulnerable, and get depressed.
- Inactivity is a friend of depression.
- Take your man out for a romantic date. It’s an effective way to deal with his depression.
- Take time to relax, be with friends, and do something you love. Too much work can lead to depression.
- You know you’re good at work. So, stop thinking about it and just enjoy yourself.
- Avoid depression. Give yourself time to let go, relax, and have fun.
Related Reading: 167+ Positivity Quotes to Give You a Boost at Work and Life
- Be in good shape and be confident about yourself. It’s a simple but effective way to combat depression.
- As tough, strong, and brave as your man is, he needs support and understanding.
- Hugs and kisses are both wonderful and powerful for him.
- Kind words are a balm to a man’s heart.
- “I often say that the opposite of depression is not happiness but vitality.” – Andrew Solomon
- “I found that with depression, one of the most important things you could realize is that you’re not alone.” – Dwayne Johnson
- “A big part of depression is feeling really lonely, even if you’re in a room full of a million people.” —Lilly Singh
Depression Quotes for Her
According to studies, women are more vulnerable to depression than men.
- Hold on to hope. It gets you through your depression.
- Talk to a trusted someone. Unburden yourself with him or her. It helps a lot.
- Don’t wait for the pressure to build up. Talk to someone or seek professional help.
- You may be bent and battered. But you’re not broken.
- You are never powerless, even in the face of depression.
- Don’t say you have depression. Tell yourself, “I battle depression.”
- Healing starts from within.
- You are fighting a battle no one knows about. You’re a winner.
- With love and support, you will win the battle against depression.
- Burn away depression using the flames of love.
- You’re a woman! You have the strength! You have the power!
- Cry your heart out. It’s okay. Tears wash away your sorrow.
- God knows what’s going on with you. He will help you.
- “No amount of anxiety can change the future. No amount of regret can change the past.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strength.” – Charles Spurgeon
- “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
Depression Quotes that Help You Feel Better
Depression can bring you down to the depths of sadness and despair. These quotes will help lift you up.
- Endorphins are the best anti-depressants. You get those by being physically active.
- Depression is real. But so are treatments and support.
- Feel free to feel what you feel. Someone will understand.
- You are amazing, wonderful, and beautiful even if you feel you don’t want to be.
- You’re about to start a grander journey. Keep fighting.
- Don’t choke on your sadness.
- Good days are coming as sure as the sun rises in the morning.
- Be happy. Every day is a new promise.
- Tears are both for sadness and happiness.
- Are you sure you’re depressed? What I see are strength and resilience.
- You have the ability to see the brightness of tomorrow through the darkness of today.
- The walls you build around you also prevent happiness from coming in. Open your gates.
- It’s okay to be sad. But you have to rise up whether by yourself or with the help of others.
- “You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” – Gilbert Baker
- “Negative thinking patterns can be immensely deceptive and persuasive, and change is rarely easy. But with patience and persistence, I believe that nearly all individuals suffering from depression can improve and experience a sense of joy and self-esteem once again.” – David Burns
- “Concern should drive us into action, not into a depression.” – Karen Horney
Funny Depression Quotes
Laughter and humor can be used as a weapons against depression.
- Exercise. It cures depression. Actually, you just need to burn off those fats.
- Whatever you do, don’t forget to take your anti-depressants.
- The worst part of depression is that you’re sad but you don’t know why.
- The way to a man’s heart is through his mouth. Feed him delicious food!
- Cure a woman’s depression by telling her she’s sexy and beautiful.
- Donuts, ice cream, and coffee—some of the best anti-depression foods out there.
- A full meal usually cures whatever sadness you’re feeling.
Related Reading: 165+ Quotes about Overcoming Adversity and Building Resiliance
- Take a camping trip alone. It takes away depression and invites mosquitoes.
- Steak and cake, where art thou? I need thee!
- It’s impossible to be depressed in the company of crazy friends.
- Just press. Don’t de-press.
- Melt depression with a cheesecake topped with chocolate.
- You’re just creating problems that do not exist.
- “When people don’t know exactly what depression is, they can be judgmental.” – Marion Cotillard
- “Recession is when a neighbour loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.” – Ronald Reagan
- “Depression doesn’t take away your talents—it just makes them harder to find.” —Lady Gaga
Depression Quotes for Family
A family member diagnosed with depression needs help from professionals and their loved ones.
- It takes love and understanding to deal with a clinically depressed family member.
- Coping with depression is hard. But a loving family can conquer all obstacles.
- The wounds of depression run deep. But they can definitely heal.
- Remember that your family is there for you.
- Supportive and loving family members are there to help you even if you feel they’re not helping you.
- Your family is your most powerful weapon against depression.
- A happy family can save each other from bouts of depression.
- When family members unite, they’re all unstoppable.
- Hot baths, family dinners, and game nights—these are all cures for depression.
- Do fun things with family members to stave off sadness and despair.
- In the end, a loving family will always be there for you.
- Don’t dismiss or disregard a sad, desperate family member. He or she may be in bouts of depression.
- Depression can happen to anyone even in loving families.
- “It’s so important that the barriers that keep us from talking, seeking out help, and finding a way to cope when things feel desperate are removed.” – Jacob Anderson
- “Depression is the inability to construct a future.” – Rollo May
- “Depression on my left. Loneliness on my right.” ―Elizabeth Gilbert
Depression Quotes for Husband
Husbands carry great responsibility and that burden can lead to depression. Here are some quotes to show how you can support the man in your life without judgement.
- Sometimes, he doesn’t show the wounds.
- Wives, support your husband through thick and thin.
- Tough husbands are people too. They can be sad or hurt.
- Sometimes, the best way to comfort your husband is to lend an ear.
- Responsible husbands are warriors. Give your warrior a rest at the end of the day.
- On a particularly tough day, give him soup and lots of love.
- Can you count the number of times you thought you couldn’t make it but did?
- In the world of finite sadness, there’s infinite care.
- Laugh the day off. It doesn’t matter whether it was good or bad.
- Depression can affect even the jolliest husband.
- You’re the pillar of your family. Don’t let them down.
- Depression can bring you down. But you must stand up for the sake of your family.
- Always remember you’re a fighter every day.
- “And if today all you did was hold yourself together, I’m proud of you.” – unknown
- “Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” – Brooke Davis
- “Healing is not linear.” – unknown
Depression Quotes for Wife
As a pillar of the family, a wife can suffer a lot of stress. Here are some quotes that relate to this important role.
- A broken heart hurts her more than all kinds of physical wounds.
- A wife leans on the family for support.
- After tears cloud your eyes, you’ll see the light of day.
- A romantic sushi night can cure depression. Trust me.
- Women are the bravest warriors. They carry wounds that cannot be seen.
- Depression can affect even the kindest wife.
- In the middle of it all, you’ll suddenly realize you’re invincible.
- You’re a strong woman. Remember that.
- Don’t count your troubles. Count your joys.
- A woman with a positive attitude can accomplish all.
- If we haven’t been wounded, then we won’t have discovered our inner strength.
- Remember that a precious pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injury.
- “Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” —Helen Keller
- “Once you choose hope, anything is possible.” —Christopher Reeve
- “Give yourself another day, another chance. You will find your courage eventually. Don’t give up on yourself just yet.” – unknown
- “In the middle of winter, I, at last, discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
Depression Quotes for Work
The stressors and challenges of work can leave one depressed and in despair.
- A strong team and positive atmosphere in the workplace staves off stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Depression isn’t straightforward. It goes on many paths.
- Before you diagnose yourself with depression, check your surroundings to ensure you’re not surrounded by idiots.
- Don’t despair. Better days, great sales and fantastic success are coming.
- We have to pass through the night before we can see the light of day.
- Where you go from here is all up to you.
- You were hired because you’re needed. Don’t think of yourself as too low.
Related Reading: 101+ Optimism Quotes for the Workplace that Give You Hope
- If you count your successes rather than failures, you’ll see you’re doing just fine.
- You are important to the company.
- Being busy keeps your mind away from depression.
- The atmosphere of your workplace all depends on you.
- You have to experience darkness before you can appreciate the light.
- There are better things than those we left behind.
- “A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.” —Joyce Meyer
- “If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.” —Lao Tzu
- “Mental health issues affect everyone, so we all have a stake in making sure good treatment is available.” – Cris Carter
Here are some anti-depression slogans that you can share with others on social media or posters.
- Be happy here! You’re only alive for a short time.
- We lend ears that listen.
- You’re important. Your life has so much meaning.
- Depression isn’t a joke. We’re here to take you seriously.
- We can help you smile again. Let’s talk.
- Your smile is the source of our happiness.
- We’ll ring the bells of happiness.
- On the opposite side of depression are contentment and joy.
- We’re here for you. You are not ever alone.
- No worries. Always be happy.
- Inner tranquillity comes from love and compassion.
- Depressed? Have an ice-cold beer with us.
- When you care for others, you become happy as well.
- Happiness starts here. Join the club.
How can you cope with feelings of depression?
Here are some ways how to deal with these feelings.
- Talk to a trusted friend, colleague, or loved one. Don’t keep your feelings pent up or they will fester over time.
- Seek help from a psychiatrist or counsellor. These professionals are trained to zero in on the source of your depression and provide you with the best remedy for your case.
- Ask your medical care provider if treatment is the right option for your situation.
- Think of happy thoughts. Permit yourself to have fun. Being worried about something won’t help. Don’t compare yourself to others. Be grateful for the things you have.
- Be with positive people in a positive environment.
- Get a full night of sleep. Exercise. Change your diet.